Pride means different things to different people. For some it’s a political statement, for some it’s about asserting their existence and celebrating it. For some others it’s about spreading awareness and sensitising the masses. And for some, it’s about bringing visibility to the community that is otherwise disregarded as a ‘minuscule minority’ and has their constitutionally validated rights revoked.
Whatever the reason for celebrating pride, one cannot but stay away from indulging and engaging in the energy and positivity that comes from being a part of it.
This year’s annual pride in Guwahati is a bit more special since this is the first time there has been so many events and activities precluding the Pride march. Even better is that this pride has had maximum involvement from student groups and allies who have participated and supported all the events with full enthusiasm and no stigma.
The pre-pride events started with sensitisation talks held with students and faculties in many universities and colleges of Guwahati, Jorhat and Tezpur from the last week of January. Here are some of the highlights:
- A screening of the movie “That’s my Boy” and a panel talk was held in the campus of Tezpur University for their event ‘Queertessential’ on 26th of January.
- On 27th and 28th of January moving concerts were staged at various locations of the city like Fancy Nazar, Zoo Tiniali, Uzanbazar Nazar ghaat etc. A very poignant moment from these converts was when a septuagenarian straight couple joined us to sing “Aa chal ke tujhe” and encouraged us with their support.
- On 1st and 5th February, Fundraising stalls were set at TISS Guwahati where various items crafted by volunteers from TISS, Tezpur University, and others were sold.
- On 4th February, people convened at Nehru Park to design posters and placards for the Pride.
- On 8th Feb a team of very enthused and excited students who had been practising hard for weeks despite their hectic schedule held flash mobs at various locations of the city spreading awareness and joy.
Article written by Abhijit Ghosh
The Guwahati Pride March will begin at 01:30. Fore more details click here
We wish you all A Happy Pride 2018 from Guwahati, Assam!